Louianna’s Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena has been awarded two certifications:
Louianna’s Organic Balsamic Vinegar has been awarded the EU organic certification.
The EU organic logo indicates that this product is in full conformity with the conditions and regulations for the organic farming sector established by the European Union. This type of Organic farming uses a range of techniques that help sustain ecosystems and reduce pollution. For more information on EU organic certification click here.
Louianna is accredited and certified Canadian Organic . Louianna’s balsamic is derived from 100% organic certified grapes and complies with all the Canadian requirements. In Canada, as of June 30, 2009, products represented as organic in interprovincial and international trade, or bearing the Canadian Organic Logo, must comply with the requirements of the Organic Products Regulations, 2009. For more information on Canadian organic certification click here.
The Organic certifying body certifying Louianna’s Balsamic Vinegar is accredited with USDA Organic certification. This certification generally involves a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping that include:
- avoidance of synthetic chemical inputs (e.g. fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics, food additives), irradiation, and the use of sewage sludge;
- avoidance of genetically modified seed;
- use of farmland that has been free from prohibited chemical inputs for a number of years (often, three or more);
- keeping detailed written production and sales records (audit trail);
- maintaining strict physical separation of organic products from non-certified products;
- undergoing periodic on-site inspections.
For more information on USDA organic standards click here.
PDO (Protected Designation of Origin)
PDO products are most closely linked to the concept of terroir – a sense of place discernable in the flavor of the food. PDO Balsamic Vinegar from Modena MUST be produced, processed and prepared in that specific region using traditional production methods. The raw materials must also be from this defined. The quality or characteristics of the product must be due essentially or exclusively to its place of origin, i.e., climate, the nature of the soil and local known-how. To learn more about PDO click here.