Tips and Recipes
Tips for Cooking with Louianna’s Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- While cooking with balsamic vinegar, heat will alter its flavor by reducing the acidity level and increasing the sweetness. Therefore, if you want to incorporate a mellow flavor, add the balsamic vinegar early on in the cooking process. However, to maintain its acidity level, it is best to add the vinegar at the end of cooking.
- Be aware that aluminum will react with balsamic vinegar and alter its taste. Be sure to use non-reactive pots and containers when cooking or marinating with balsamic vinegar.
- You can concentrate and intensify the flavor and aroma of a good quality balsamic vinegar by making a balsamic vinegar reduction or glaze. Just pour a cup of balsamic vinegar into a saucepan, bring it to a boil and then simmer until it has reduced by about three-quarters. It should be a thick, syrupy glaze. A few drops of balsamic reduction can be used to flavour risotto, grilled fish and seafood, even cheesecake and fruits (raspberries and strawberries).
Asparagus and Red Pepper with Balsamic Vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
¾ bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 cup shallots
¾ red pepper, cut into slivers
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 ½ tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Melt the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the red pepper slivers and shallots and cook for 5 minutes more
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute
- Plate the asparagus, red peppers and shallots
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts
Roast Salmon with Balsamic Vinegar
These simple and few ingredients make for quick but elegant entertaining. The final broiling caramelizes the sugar to give the salmon its attractive, mildly sweet glaze.
This recipe serves 4. Takes 10 minutes prep time; and 15 minutes cook time.
2 tablespoons packed brown suga
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ pounds salmon fillets
- Whisk together the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of marinade in a small bowl, and set aside. Add the salmon and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinade in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove the salmon from the marinade, and shake off excess. Place the salmon in an aluminum foil-lined baking dish, and sprinkle with salt.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
- Roast in the preheated oven until the fish is easily flaked with a fork, about 10 minutes. Brush salmon with the reserved marinade, and return to the oven. Roast until glazed, about 1 minute.
Chicken Breast with Balsamic Vinegar, Mushrooms and Garlic
This is a quick, easy and impressive gourmet dish. Goes great with roasted new potatoes.
This recipe serves 4. Takes 5 minutes prep time; and 25 minutes cook time.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon butter
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms and pat dry. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and sauté the chicken until it is nicely browned on one side (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic. Turn the chicken breasts and scatter the mushrooms over them. Continue frying, shaking the skillet and stirring the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover tightly and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, turn occasionally.
- Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter and cover with foil. Set aside. Continue simmering the sauce, uncovered, over medium high heat for about 7 minutes. Swirl in the butter and discard the bay leaf. Pour this mushroom sauce mixture over the chicken and serve.