Tips and Recipes
Tomato purée or “passata di pomodoro”, as it is referred to in Italy, is a thick liquid made by straining tomatoes. Tomato purée is a basic staple for any chef or home cook as it is used in a wide variety of dishes where the flavor and aroma of tomato is desired.
In addition, it is used as a base for soups, stews and sauces. Discover the flavorful taste and aroma of Louianna’s truly special Organic Tomato Purée!
Basic Tomato Sauce
Makes 2 ½ cups of sauce. Takes 25 minutes prep time; and 35 minutes cook time.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot or ½ large carrot, finely chopped
1 small stalk of celery, including the green tops, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 720 mL jar of tomato purée
1 teaspoon tomato paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, and parsley. Stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.
- Remove the cover and add the minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium high. Cook the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the tomato purée, tomato paste and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a slow simmer; reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Pizza with Basil Leaves, Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes and Black Olives
Makes 14” size pizza. Takes 20 minutes prep time; and about 15 minutes cook time.
12 ounces of fresh pizza dough
350 mL tomato purée
4 sliced crimini mushrooms
5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
5 black olives, sliced in half
8 basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional oil for drizzling
6 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- Roll dough into a ball and coat with olive oil. Place in a bowl and cover with a plate. Leave the dough out for 2 to 3 hours to allow the dough to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F (235˚C). On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle. Place the dough on a pizza cooking tray (with holes on the bottom).
- Brush the dough with a thin layer of olive oil. Spread Louianna’s Organic Tomato Purée evenly throughout. Top with grated mozzarella cheese. Add the sliced mushrooms, black olives and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle oregano throughout and add sprigs of thyme.
- Place the pizza on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes. The bottom crust should be crisp and the top should be slightly browned and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and add basil leaves. Finish by drizzling Louianna’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and serve.
This recipe serves 4. Takes 15 minutes to prep; and 35 minutes to cook.
6 chicken thighs
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
½ cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
¾ cup dry white wine
720 mL tomato purée
¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons drained capers
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Add salt and pepper to flour and mix. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture to coat lightly.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato purée, broth, capers and oregano.
- Return the chicken pieces to the skillet and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter. If Necessary, boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with the basil and serve.